Saint Dominic went into a forest near Toulouse, France. He prayed continuously for three days and three nights and did nothing but weep and do harsh penances and asking to appease the anger of God. His body was lacerated, and finally he fell into a coma.
Then our Lady appeared to him, accompanied by three angels, and she said, “Dear Dominic, do you know which weapon the Blessed Trinity wants to use to reform the world?” “Oh, my Lady,” answered Saint Dominic, “you know far better than I do, because next to your Son Jesus Christ you have always been the chief instrument of our salvation.”
It was then Saint Dominic received the Holy Rosary from the Blessed Virgin Mary and used this in converting the heretics and sinners.
He went back straight to the cathedral and unseen angels rang the bells as a signal in calling the people to gather and Saint Dominic began to preach.
At first a storm broke out, the earth shook, the sun was darkened, and there was so much thunder and lightning that all were very much afraid. People felt greater fear upon looking at a picture of Holy Mary when they saw Her raise Her arms to heaven three times to call down God’s vengeance upon them if they failed to be converted, to amend their lives, and seek the protection of the holy Mother of God.
God used supernatural phenomena, to stress and spread the new devotion of the Holy Rosary and to make it more widely known.
The storm came to an end after the prayer of Saint Dominic, and he went on preaching again. He explained the importance and value of the Rosary that almost all the people of Toulouse embraced it and renounced their false beliefs. In a very short time, people began leading Christian lives and gave up their former bad habits.
PROMISES OF THE HOLY ROSARY
- Whoever shall faithfully serve me by the recitation of the Rosary, shall receive signal graces.
- I promise my special protection and the greatest graces to all those who shall recite the Rosary.
- The Rosary shall be a powerful armor against hell, it will destroy vice, decrease sin, and defeat heresies.
- It will cause virtue and good works to flourish; it will obtain for souls the abundant mercy of God; it will withdraw the heart of men from the love of the world and its vanities, and will lift them to the desire of eternal things. Oh, that souls would sanctify themselves by this means.
- The soul which recommends itself to me by the recitation of the Rosary shall not perish.
- Whoever shall recite the Rosary devoutly, applying himself to the consideration of its sacred mysteries, shall never be conquered and never overwhelmed by misfortune. God will not chastise him in His justice, he shall not perish by an unprovided death (unprepared for heaven). The sinner shall convert. The just shall grow in grace and become worthy of eternal life.
- Whoever shall have a true devotion for the Rosary shall not die without the sacraments of the Church.
- Those who are faithful to recite the Rosary shall have, during their life and at their death, the light of God and the plenitude of His graces; at the moment of death they shall participate in the merits of the saints in paradise.
- I shall deliver from purgatory those who have been devoted to the Rosary.
- The faithful children of the Rosary shall merit a high degree of glory in heaven.
- You shall obtain all you ask of me by the recitation of the Rosary
- All those who propagate the holy Rosary shall be aided by me in their necessities.
- I have obtained from my Divine Son that all the advocates of the Rosary shall have for intercessors the entire celestial court during their life and at the hour of death.
- All who recite the Rosary are my sons, and brothers of my only son Jesus Christ.
- Devotion of my Rosary is a great sign of predestination.